Hybrid What?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

wlan

Hybrid What?

Post by wlan »

I am confused, it says Anime Studio Pro 5 Hybrid Retail. I am scared to open the CD for I may not be able to return it. :shock:

P.S., Can someone help me to post pics?
Last edited by wlan on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Does that mean it has installs for both Win and Mac perhaps?

is there fine print on the box?
wlan

Post by wlan »

It is for Windows and Mac, but it says hybrid right above the serial #. I want to make sure it is not an education copy. When I bought it, there was nothing confirming that it was academic. Here is the page I bought it from: http://www.buy.com/prod/anime-studio-5- ... 60061.html
Ttomak

Post by Ttomak »

Yeah, the boxed copies that Smith Micro sells (and all of the ones sold in stores as far as I've seen) are hybrids (ie work on both Win and Mac).
wlan

Post by wlan »

Also this was the license agreement page: http://my.smithmicro.com/eula.pdf

Finally How do I register this again to smith micro?
Do I need to re register my email?
Ttomak

Post by Ttomak »

wlan wrote:It is for Windows and Mac, but it says hybrid right above the serial #. I want to make sure it is not an education copy. When I bought it, there was nothing confirming that it was academic. Here is the page I bought it from: http://www.buy.com/prod/anime-studio-5- ... 60061.html
I don't think you need to worry. $176 looks like a pretty normal price (depending on where you buy from). Education copies are a lot cheaper than that. The price at the Academic Superstore is $90 for Anime Studio 5 Pro.

There's a Register option under the Help menu when you install the program.
wlan

Post by wlan »

I now know why it was on sale for 64 % off. The box was a little bit crushed. The CD however was perfectly in tact! :D
wlan

Post by wlan »

T tomak, I got mine for $71 which is now concerning me. It is still unopened and I carefully read the fine print on Buy.com and nothing about educational version. But it came in the box a little crushed. I think that was the sale reason.

P.S., the price changed over the weekend. :? I don't know if I got lucky or if I got ripped of. I read the box, nothing about an educational version.If I can learn how to post pics on here it would be easier to show you what I mean.
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Dude, AS doesn't come in an educational version. There's Anime Studio 5, and Anime Studio 5 Pro. It sounds to me like hybrid means a mac and win version in the box. Possibly both versions use the same serial you got.

Sounds like you got it cheap because the box is damaged.

I'd suggest emailing smith micro if you still have concerns. They have a tech support email thing which I found to have a fast turnaround with support.
AniPierre

Post by AniPierre »

I can guarantee you that "hybrid" means that you can use that CD to install Anime Studio to both a PC and a Mac. It's really a very nice feature as it allows me to install the program on my PC at home and my Mac at the office. Otherwise, it sounds like you got a good deal for the software!

Pierre
wlan

Post by wlan »

Thanks. I hope I can get it up soon. I just need to be really really sure. Any good links to how to use anime studio like flash on websites? Also does Blender work as a 3d object?

P.S., thanks so much!! I always seem to be slow in the news. I purchased Anime studio 5 when v. 6 came. Oh well. :wink:
Ttomak

Post by Ttomak »

Yeah, the discount's probably because of the damaged box, though Buy.com has a market place where individuals could resell copies they've previously bought - maybe you bought one of those? But if you want to be sure, you should contact Smith Micro directly to see what they have to say about it.

You should definitely contact Smith Micro to see if you can get a free upgrade to AS6.
AniPierre

Post by AniPierre »

Hi Wlan,

You'll have no opportunity to upgrade for free if you didn't buy Anime Studio directly from Smith Micro.

Regarding using the software, you should have no worries as long as the envelope that contains the installation CD is still sealed. If was already open when you received the software then you've purchased a resold copy.

If I'm not mistaken, Anime Studio will only import .obj 3D meshes. Blender can certainly export .obj files so the two should make beautiful music together!

Regarding using Anime Studio like Flash, then I think you might be in for a disappointment. While Anime Studio can export .swf files, it really isn't designed to build websites like you can with Flash. Of course if you just want to export a .swf file from Anime Studio into a website, then you should be fine as long as you know that there are certain effects that Anime Studio can handle that will survive the translation to Flash's .swf format.

I hope that helps!
Pierre
wlan

Post by wlan »

I have separate web designing software and that the packaged and CD case was sealed. For the upgrade, I think at my age (13) I probably don't see that in my future for right now. :wink:
Ttomak

Post by Ttomak »

I'm pretty sure Mike said if you bought it recently, you can upgrade for free (no mention of whether you bought it directly from Smith Micro or not). That being said, if you did buy it from the marketplace instead of direct from Buy.com, then it might not count cause it's resold. Either way, just ask them - it can't hurt. Even if they say no, all you wasted was a few minutes to write to them. Plus, you'd kick yourself if you don't ask and then later find out you could've gotten a free upgrade after all, only they're no longer offering it anymore by then.