bone problem:I can't use bone

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heAdsho

bone problem:I can't use bone

Post by heAdsho »

I am hungarian, and I'm don't speak english perfectly.My problem is that, I can't use the bone function, cause it's gray, and I cant click on them.How can I use this function?Thanx!
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Probably, you have not made a bone layer yet. In the Layer window, hit the button at the top right to create a new layer. This should be a Bone layer. All of the other layers you want to be controlled by the bones in this layer must be inside (they will be set to the right under that layer in the Layer window). You can only make new bones when the Bone layer is selected. If you do not have the Bone layer selected, most of the bone tools will not work.

None of my friends who speak maygar are available, so I hope that helps. And Welcome!
heAdsho

Post by heAdsho »

Thanx!but now i have a problem too.when i make some moves with a bone, in, when i'm play the project, the bone moves, but the character don't.What's the problem?
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

RTFM, please try the tutorials first. Not only by reading, but also by actually doing them.
myles

Post by myles »

As Brian(7feet) says, to make a layer controlled by bones, the layer must be inside (a "child") of the bone layer. This is true for both vector and image layers.

To make a layer into a child, drag it onto the bone layer (the little gray arrow beside the eyes must be pointing down).

Your English is good - good enough to work through the tutorials. :wink: :)

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
7feet

RTFM?

Post by 7feet »

Rasheed - What if you CAN'T? The Language used in Hungary (on the Turk-Hungarian-Finnish tip) is built on such a different framework than the somewhat differing Latin-based, or Latinized, languages that I could see a difficulty getting what you need from the manual. I tried, don't know how sucessful, to keep the grammer direct enough to get the idea to come through on a machine translation. In a similar respect, you ever try to get the picture on a piece of software from a, say, Japanese site? I'm learning, thanks to my brother's girlfriend, but it's a nutbuster. It's one of the reasons I pay particular attention to the posts from non-english speakers from radically differing languages. Sang seems to use machine translation all the time, and Maygar is as far away from English as Cantonese. Or Basqe. If someone can actually RTFM then, yeah. But if not, cut some slack, dude.

Myles- Thanks, chief, I wanted to to do something like that but didn't have the time just then. Maybe doing the all-visual-all-the-time kinda basic tutorials would be a good project t spread the word, I really do think Moho is that good but I can see some difficulty gettting there if you don't speak english. A trans to Esperanto, perhaps? Whatever.

heAdsho - If you can, when you have a problem, post the .moho file. I'm always happy to help.
heAdsho

Post by heAdsho »

Thanx to everybody!
Rasheed

Re: RTFM?

Post by Rasheed »

7feet wrote:If someone can actually RTFM then, yeah. But if not, cut some slack, dude.
I'm sorry, I'll try to be more patient with newbies next time.
heAdsho

Post by heAdsho »

I've got a little problem again.If I rotate the right leg's bone, It rotates like I rotates the full character.But when I rotate the left leg's bone, it rotates wery wll, it, works perfectly.What's the different of the bones?

here is my project file:

http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0632 ... 2WG580POUP
heAdsho

Post by heAdsho »

oh, Rasheed, no problem.I know, I have got stupid questions
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

The order in which you add bones matters. In you file the order is a bit messy (see screenshot).

I often use this setup:
Put the first bone on the hips area, next bone on chest area. Select the hip bone and add the bone for the upper left leg, the lower left leg, the left foot and the left toes. Select the hip bone again and do the same bone adding for the right leg as you did for the left leg. Select the chest bone and add the bone for the head. Select the chest bone again and add a bone for the left upper arm, and add a bone for the left lower arm plus hand. Select the chest bone again and do the same bone adding for the right arm as you did for the left arm.

Here's a screenshot of a file I just made:
I haven't made bones for the toes and I haven't used an image file, as you did, but the principle is the same: be very precise how your bones are connected to each other; one mistake and it won't work properly. So it pays to use the same workflow for adding bones every time.

Here's an animation from the Moho file:
heAdsho

Post by heAdsho »

Thanx!
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Rasheed wrote: The order in which you add bones matters.
This is not correct information.
All that really matters is that the parent-child relationship is proper.
One can add bones anyway you want. I often go back and delete bones in arms and leg or other parts and then add more, delete some, move some.
One just has to make sure that the parent-child relationship is correct.
And some bones are totally independent and have no parent-child relationship.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Toontoonz wrote:All that really matters is that the parent-child relationship is proper.
Of course, you're right, but newbies tend to create their images in a single layer, think a bit on how to animate it and decide based on this reasoning how to rig the character with bones in one bone layer. And in that workflow, the sequence of adding bones really does matter, although you can correct it always afterwards, as you have stated in your reply.

In a setup with multiple image/vector and bone layers, the character design and animation workflow can be any way you like, although I like to keep things as simple as possible and think things through before I start to animate. I particularly dislike complicated multi-layer bone setups, but that's just my preference, it might not be yours.

Luckily, Moho is forgiving enough to allow for all kinds of workflows.

BTW I didn't want to confuse anyone, just to avoid making things too complicated for a newbie. Perhaps in doing so, I simplified matters too much.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Rasheed wrote: ...newbies tend to create their images in a single layer, think a bit on how to animate it and decide based on this reasoning how to rig the character with bones in one bone layer.
I wonder where you get that generalazation? Moho Tutorial 3.4 "Character setup" tells people to use multiple layers under a single bone layer.
To quote from it:
"Although all the artwork could be drawn in one vector layer, it is often easier to draw a character in multiple layers, arranging the body parts from back to front, as shown below:"
Rasheed wrote: ....the sequence of adding bones really does matter,...
No, it really doesn´t. All that really matters is that the parent-child relationship is proper.
For example, how many times have you boned a character and then decided the main parent bone was incorrect and you needed to make a new main parent bone. Did you delete all the bones in ther character and then start over the boning because "the sequence of adding bones really does matter"?
You don´t need to, just add a new bone (adjust the others as need be) and then re-adjust the parent-child relationship.