Vitruvian bones with IK chains

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

meix

Vitruvian bones with IK chains

Post by meix »

Currently adding bone to vitruvian group takes along only child bones with it. If there's an IK target bone outside of this hierarchy it will be left out of vitruvian party. It can be used but will be visible all the time and not showed/hidden with related bone chain. Also, I tend to bind hands and feet directly to IK target bone and in this case only point binding works, trying flexi-bind IK target bone to the layer related to vitruvian group breaks vitruvian feature for that as well, it will be never hidden. Would be happy if I'm overlooking something obvious and someone could point that out.
Greenlaw

Re: Vitruvian bones with IK chains

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, that's one of the reasons I've asked for keyframeable visibility for bones.

The new Vitruvian bones addresses a large part of how I would use keyframeable visibility for bones if we had it, but not all of them. I love the new V-bones and find the system incredibly useful, but I would still like to get keyframeable visibility for bones.

That said, it would be very unusual for me to require more than one target bone for a limb. Is there a reason you need different targets for each V-bone setup? If it's a matter of positional offset, maybe you could parent an 'interior' target bone inside the V-bones and use a constraint to follow the position of original 'exterior' target bone instead of parenting to it. This way, you're dealing with no more than two target bones for a limb at any time. Just be sure to animate only original bone; you can color code the bone to remind you.

I'm not sure how well that works in practice, just an idea to try. Good luck!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Another idea: how about a separate set of V-Bones that's used only for target bones? You can probably make an SBD for each limb to keep the 'visibility' of the Target in sync with the V-Bones. That might get a bit tricky because I can see how you might need multiple V-Bones target bone groups, i.e., one for each limb. Just another thought.

Wish I had time to proof these ideas, but it's a busy day for me.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
meix

Post by meix »

Thanks, Greenlaw, for the ideas, can probably work out something.
Was just hoping there is some natural way to add basic IK chain (with one IK target) like this to vitruvian group.
Not sure how it could work, maybe vitruvian feature could also check connected IK targets in selected bone's children and add these also to the set but there could be some side effects that I'm not aware of.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

meix wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:41 pm Currently adding bone to vitruvian group takes along only child bones with it. If there's an IK target bone outside of this hierarchy it will be left out of vitruvian party. It can be used but will be visible all the time and not showed/hidden with related bone chain. Also, I tend to bind hands and feet directly to IK target bone and in this case only point binding works, trying flexi-bind IK target bone to the layer related to vitruvian group breaks vitruvian feature for that as well, it will be never hidden. Would be happy if I'm overlooking something obvious and someone could point that out.
I'm not sure why you'd need a target for each chain in a v-group, since I presume you'd want the target to keep all the groups synced...so you don't have to match them up every time you change which groups is showing. That said, a layerscript could probably be written to hide target bones with the targeting v-chain, but I don't have a use for that myself.

You can point bind with v-groups, but you first need to do Bone>Use Selected Bones For Flexi-binding to tell the v-bones which art hides with them.
meix

Post by meix »

synthsin75 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:30 pm I'm not sure why you'd need a target for each chain in a v-group, since I presume you'd want the target to keep all the groups synced...so you don't have to match them up every time you change which groups is showing.
Makes totally sense, thanks.