mask failure

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

RigTheory

mask failure

Post by RigTheory »

Hello again, Moho Fam! Can someone help me?

I have Moho installed on my laptop and desktop, and for some reason my masks are failing.
They're not working in my own files and in the sample projects that load into Moho on startup :cry:

I uninstalled and reinstalled Moho (because there was an update available) and now I'm getting some software crashes :(
Anyone else have these issues? Any ideas on how to fix?

I'd appreciate any advice offered.
Here are my laptop's specs, just in case

Windows 10
Manufacturer: Toshiba
RAM: 16G
System: 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core i7 @ 2.4 GHz

masking was working before so... I'm at a loss to understand how to fix this....

-Law
If it's not moving it's probably dead. WE NEED ANIMATION!
Greenlaw

Re: mask failure

Post by Greenlaw »

What happens when you enable/disable GPU Acceleration? If that doesn't make any difference, it might have to do with how you're nesting your masks in groups. I find masking works more predictably when I set things up simple, even it it means adding more groups with duplicate masks.

How about when you render a preview? Does it look correct then? With certain masking configurations, there have always been differences in how Moho displays masking and how Moho renders it. Usually, if the masking renders correctly, I just ignore the display issue, as shown in my Puss-In-Boots rig demo from several years ago: https://vimeo.com/269815494. You'll notice the eyes don't mask correctly but they render fine in the final animations. Since this error didn't affect my ability to animate Puss, I just let it go.

Sometimes I find I do need a 1-to-1 match between the display preview and the render but Moho doesn't want to cooperate. In these situations, I'll duplicate the troublesome element and set up its masking differently so it preview correctly, even if this versions renders incorrectly. Then I'll set this version to not render from the Layer Settings, and then do the inverse for the correctly rendering version, that is, set it to not display as a preview but to render as final. Setting this up may seem a hassle but it works well, and fortunately it's quite rare when I need to do this.

Hopefully Moho gets improved masking previews in the next release. That would be a big deal!
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RigTheory

Post by RigTheory »

Thank you, GreenLaw!
Oh WOW, yes, when I render the masks work fine :shock:

Hmmm, so now I wonder how I can update my setting so I can view them in action in the viewport again. :?:
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Without seeing your setup, it's hard to say.

I really should make some example projects because I never remember these tricks when I need them. If I have time this week, I'll revisit what I've done in the past and share any info that might be helpful. :)
RigTheory

Post by RigTheory »

That would be all-sorts-of AWESOME! I'd appreciate any insights.
I'm working on some really promising projects and I can't wait to share.

The really positive thing about all this is that I'll be forced to move from showing off a bunch of viewport tests and create actual renders. :lol:
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

and just to confirm, you have masking enabled under display settings, correct?

Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Good catch alanthebox...not catching all the preview settings I expected still trips me up sometimes.

Hmm...it just occurred to me that Moho should give users the ability to create our own preview presets. Would love to see this in a future release.
RigTheory

Post by RigTheory »

THAT WAS IT!!! :D
THANK YOU!!!!! :lol: