Video Training: How to Make a Head Turn with Actions PART 3

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Stephen X

Unzippable

Post by Stephen X »

I just wanted to let you know that I viewed 1 and 2 now and 3 is a total cliffhanger. How is it all going to play out? Will Darth be able to successfully create that headturn?

You have some great tips in there. I love the idea about counting the points. This is something I never thought of. Keep the great stuff coming.

Is there any way you could resave part 2 as a QT file again and then throw it up on the Web? Since your demos are long, I like to throw them all in iDVD and watch them on my TV as I work. Since I wasn't able to open part 2 in QT, it also wasn't readable in iDVD. Not sure what the problem is.

Thanks so much! This stuff is awesome!

S:)

:D
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

phastraq + 2ner - I shrunk that 3 1/2 hour file into 117mb mp4 format without any loss in quality. Hope that helps! The link is in the first post. If it doesn't work let me know. Hopefully you'll survive 3 1/2 hours of me talking non-stop. Towards the end I start getting whiny so you'll need extra stamina to survive. Good luck!

StephenX- I really like your avatar. If that's a preview of your work then I am really glad these videos helped in some way. "Good Girl" art is one of my favorite category's, but it's hard to tell if that's a personal preference or my hormones talking. Anyway I converted Part 2(now 60mb) and 3(117mb) to .mp4 format, which should work on your computer. If not let me know. You might want to download the 10 minute preview first(also converted to .mp4) to see if it works before downloading the larger videos. Mp4 should also work with idvd(that fast forward button will come in handy.) The links are updated in the first post for Parts 2 and 3. I should rename part 3 to Part 3 1/2 HOURS. Come back safe!
Stephen X

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Stephen X »

You are the best! This is great! I'll watch it this morning while I am working.

Thanks too for the kind words regarding my avatar. Funny you should mention it. I was preparing for a demonstration for AS and I needed to come up with original material. While I was coming up with ideas, I stumbled onto your work with your first head turn tutorial. I really got inspired to push the drawings after seeing what you did. I already knew that AS was the best vector drawing package out there, but really tried to push it. Wait until you see the new character that I am working on.

Thanks again for everything. Your work on actions, 3D Rigging and your artwork has been an immeasurable inspiration.

Cheers!
S :D
Thatch

Post by Thatch »

I am currently working through the 3rd video and I would like to thank you for the very thorough walk through of the techniques involved in the head turn. There are a number of things here that I was a bit iffy on and it really helped going through these things. Of course now I'm going ot be looking into how to lipsync with actions as I have only done switch layers up till now.

The only negative I have (and it's a small one as these really are a very good resource) is that you often times used tools without saying what they were or even used a couple keyboard shortcuts and as there is a bit of lag between your voice and the movement on the screen I was fairly often left with "What did he just do?" echoing in my head. Of course I simply went back and paid closer attention but just for future tutorials... it might be good to just state what tool you are using.

Again, minor as I was able to follow along (even with the mistakes, which I kind of liked as well) Thanks again.

J
Stephen X

Still problematic

Post by Stephen X »

Hey Darth.

I was watching the video over vacation last week and I only got through the first hour and a half of the third video before it crapped out. I tried it in numerous players and got the same response. Is there any way you can trim the video into 3 parts and post it? I think that might help. Is anyone else have this problem.

Again, what you do is magic and can't thank you enough.

Stephen
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Hi Thatch I found Actions very confusing at first too, mainly because the manual doesn't go into a lot of detail. The funny thing is they're very easy to use, but difficult to explain without using a video. However, once you know how they work, you'll wonder how you ever got on without them. The recyclable nature of actions makes them ideal for series work, or a long feature. As for the tutorials, I fixed the audio synch problems in time for Part 3, but I will definitely be more vocal about which tools I'm using in the next video, possibly "How to Lipsynch with Actions." Long time user Ramon_Lopez also created a fantastic script which allows Papagayo to work with actions instead of switch layers in this thread. Thanks for the feedback and I definitely recommend actions for lipsynch.

Stephen X, here's Part 3 in 3 parts(36mb each):

http://darthfurby.com/tutorials/as/headturn3a.mp4
http://darthfurby.com/tutorials/as/headturn3b.mp4
http://darthfurby.com/tutorials/as/headturn3c.mp4

If you still have trouble watching them let me know. It's possible your video players committed suicide halfway thru my video.
Stephen X

THANK YOU THANK YOU

Post by Stephen X »

I feel like such a sticky wicket asking you to repost all the time. Thanks so much for doing it. Your tutorials are super. I would love to see you do a tutorial on actions and lip syncing.

You are a talent!
S :D
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Hi Stephen feel free to sticky wicket as much as you like I need to know these things so I can figure out which format works best. From now on I'll post a complete video along with a version sliced into multiple parts to circumvent some of the downloading issues.
Thatch

Post by Thatch »

Ah, there it is, I was looking for that thread. I had hear reference to the script in a few threads but I couldn't find the thing. You've come through again... thanks much.

Oh, and lest I forget... yes a tut on lipsyncing with actions would be met with at least one VERY interested viewer.

J
Genete

Post by Genete »

Hi Darth!
There are a lot of things that I want to comment with you regarding the 3rd part of the tutorial but I only post some of them by the moment:

1) Using fazek's replacement tools would save you a lot of time.
2) Now I understand why you put two shapes to hide the white of the eye. It would cover any point motion between actions that can go outside the safe region. Good technique.
3) I think that the most valuable thing of your videos is something that you indirectly show but I think you have not said it directly (maybe but I did not catch it). The most important thing of all your technique is the preparation of the model. It is so important that you exactly know how your shapes would look in the side view and the front view. Whit that you can design the amount of points needed and where the points go in each view. It means a very good knowledge of the anatomy of the model (human or whatever). I realize that when you morphed the low eyelash. That's the reason you are so maniac on number of points...
4) It could be a little trick to create small appendixes to the mid points for rounded shapes to recognize them and to help to positioning them properly. This appendix can be a small line attached to the middle point and added once the shape is created.
5) I don't know if you mentioned why do you create a keyframe to the selected points before morph them from one view to the other. At the beginning I did not nderstand but now I guess that you do that to avoid any orphan point that apparently don't need any morph from one view to other but you want to be sure that a keyframe is added to it.
6) Not needed to mention that your drawing skills are impressive to me.

-G
Genete

Post by Genete »

I find this technique very cool and easy to use.
I've dare to modify your model and just started to make a front view. I have done all my best to reuse same shapes that you have created for the nose, so the front look is a little minimalist.
The ear was not a problem regarding to the shape but layer order need a little tweak to achieve the correct position in the correct moment. The eyes are other story I have to study carefully.

http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/Other/ ... Front.anme
It is very funny!!!!

I think the ear should be a little rotated...
-G
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Hi DarthFurby,

Believe it or not I've only just got round to properly watching parts 2 and 3 of your tutorials - on the same evening! They are fantastic...ingenious actually. The tips on constructing the face for headturns (using 'eye putty' etc) are priceless. Thanks so much for creating these. I need to put what you've taught me into practice now :D
superanimatrix

Post by superanimatrix »

When I click on the links the pages are blank! :?
ARTIST

Post by ARTIST »

superanimatrix wrote:When I click on the links the pages are blank! :?
Links are working fine for me. tryagain.
spangel3

Great man!

Post by spangel3 »

Great man! everything went well for me. I did have a few hickups along the way but was able to sort them out! Allot of help! well apreaciated.

here is my finished one. I put a blink in mine aswell which you didn't cover but that was just common sence after all of your deep explanations on things, I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your tutorials soon. Thanks again man :D

mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfjET3JbIQw