Another Noob (ME) unleashed upon the forums!

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mozbo

Another Noob (ME) unleashed upon the forums!

Post by Mozbo »

Hello all!
I'm Mozbo, and am *currently* running the 30-day trial as I await my AS Pro 7 disk to arrive in the mail ~ Scored the Black Friday 60% discount as an early Christmas gift.

I've got 10 yrs Photoshop experience, but am somewhat (not totally) noobish when it comes to animation.
I found the forums here from a YouTube tutorial for the limb render script, and was so impressed by the friendly and funny atmosphere, that after lurking for the last couple of days, I joined up.

Thanks in advance for your patience, I'll try not to ask too many goofy questions, and I hope that I will be able to constructively contribute in the future!

~M
~M
Change is inevitable, growth is optional.
Life is short, enjoy the adventure!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Welcome, Mozbo. Today's noob is tomorrow's veteran!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Imago

Post by Imago »

Welcome among us! :D
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Forget how Photoshop works, and do the tutorials. And welcome.

Dale
Mozbo

Post by Mozbo »

dueyftw wrote:Forget how Photoshop works, and do the tutorials. And welcome.

Dale
I'm chewing through the tutorials. That's why I've installed the 30 day trial, to try and learn before the full-blown version arrives.

Actually, though, the Photoshop learning is coming in handy for some things, like deleting stuff, and dragging all kinds of things, from path points to timeframes...I was jumping through all kinds of hoops selecting stuff, when I found I could just grab and drag it. It's also helping with color selection for lighting and shadow, and making adjustments with the cartoon effect on photo images for backgrounds.

AS is awesome in being able to do stuff easy, but learning the finer points is going to take awhile...That manual has a LOT of information to absorb. But I can make a really cool "flexing pancake" now! LOL

This is a really nice and friendly forum. I'm glad MeltedToons did a tutorial on the Instant Limb script and plugged the forums here!

~M
~M
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

AS has a lot of people who think that they know how the program works because they know Photoshop, Flash, Toonboom or some other 2D program. The core of AS just doesn't work the same way. Drawing, masking and animating is not the same. You have to work in a different way to get the full use of the program. It not going to conform to the work flow that you have used before. Their is a whole lot who just didn't spend the time to learn and will tell you that AS is total crap.

Dale
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

The interface certainly is quirky, and you have to get your head around a way of working that you won't see in other programs, but AS makes animating fun -- for many, that's reason enough. How would you make a flexing pancake in Flash!?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Mozbo

Post by Mozbo »

Oh joy! My disk arrived this evening!!! :D
I'm waiting to do a fresh install until tomorrow morning, so I can take full advantage of the 1 year of Stuffit Connect...

The past week, I've been reading all over the Internet, and the more I read, the more I'm convinced I made the best choice with ASP7. People using Flash have switched, people using Toon Boom have switched. I haven't found anyone saying they switched from AS to another product, but I've read about a lot of people who've switched from other products to AS...

I'm now up to Bones in the manual. They're easy enough on the surface to grasp, but I'm looking forward to understanding the "fancy" stuff that Selgin and some of the other "Aces" around here are wonderful enough to share...
Blend Morphing, here I come!!! Eventually...

At least the baby steps are exciting as I work my way up to smooth head turns and walk sequences... LOL!
~M
crsP

Post by crsP »

I switched from ASP to Textedit for writing my novels - ASP text tool takes ages to load!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

crsP wrote:I switched from ASP to Textedit for writing my novels - ASP text tool takes ages to load!
AS 7 has fixed that, right now I'm passing the complete works of Cervantes to a single layer anme. I'll post it soon on share your work.

Welcome, Mozbo :D
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

Rigged animation supervisor: My father's dragon, Wolfwalkers & Star Wars Visions "Screecher's Reach"
My personal Youtube Channel
Mozbo

Post by Mozbo »

selgin wrote:AS 7 has fixed that, right now I'm passing the complete works of Cervantes to a single layer anme. I'll post it soon on share your work.

Welcome, Mozbo :D
Thanks, Selgin. I look forward to the Cervantes piece. Perhaps animated with a dancing pancake using lip-synch? :lol:
~M