Vertical Horizons: Short Cartoon Series Produced in AS

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Vertical Horizons: Short Cartoon Series Produced in AS

Post by 94253 »

Hey, everyone! This is the first time I've shared any of my personal work, so I really hope you like it. I've collaborated with other animators in larger projects but this is the first project I've drawn and animated on my own.

Project info: This is sort of a sitcom / animated web comic thing. The gimmick is "every episode is a true story." The characters are based on the people I work with at my office, and it is even voiced by my office colleagues and me.

Watch it here! http://horizons.gfcmedia.net

Technical info: I drew and animated everything in Anime Studio with my Wacom Intuos tablet. The voices were recorded in Audacity and mixed in AS. The final sequencing, music, and ambient sounds were done in Final Cut.

I feel the current episodes are a little monotonous. I've got a dozen more scripts written out (showing off the other characters) but it will be a while before I get to those because I recently suffered a series of untimely health issues. Whilst travelling, I picked up a terrible cold which took out my voice, followed by a major injury in which I lost the ability to use my right arm (the one I use for drawing). :'(

At the moment I'm on short term disability and will try to get another episode done once my voice and arm heal.

All comments are appreciated, and there is a Facebook Like button at the bottom of the page - along with a link to the hilarious Fletcher comics - so please utilize both of those while you're there! Thanks. :)
Last edited by 94253 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Ha ha ha! Brilliant.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Good one. Paul's voice is bit robotic, but maybe that's his character? The Miranda character looks and sounds appealing.

The office humor reminds of a web cartoon called Cubing Out by LM forum member sirjer1. You can see his youtube channel here:

Manic Turtle Productions

It didn't seem to generate much momentum here, but it was short and clever.

Hope to see more of the other characters!

Post by 94253 »

Thanks for the comment about Paul's voice. My wife said something similar so I think that is something we'll try to improve in the future. I want him to sound...sort of bored and not really enjoying his job. I don't think "robotic" is what I want people to hear, though.

I'm glad you like Miranda. She seems to be the most popular character from the feedback I've received.

It's difficult to be truly original with office humor. After popular franchises like Dilbert, Better Off Ted, and of course The Office, it seems like everything has already been done. That's one reason I'm trying to base every episode on an actual event I've witnessed at my office. I feel it's the only way to set this series apart from the others.
Last edited by 94253 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kalamonkey

Post by Kalamonkey »

Good job! I always dig original stuff! Over all well done, but I agree Paul's voice sounded like someone reading the words, but not living the words... Cartooning is hard work brother! Keep up the good work!
"No one ever said the story has to make sense!"

http://www.youtube.com/KalamonkeyTV
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

cool series, screenshot was hilarious. :D

Post by 94253 »

I took a month off to let my arm and shoulder heal from an injury. I've been feeling a lot better this week, so I decided to celebrate by animating a new episode. :)

This one introduces Heather, and I got to draw a new set for one sequence. Woo!

http://horizons.gfcmedia.net/?pageID=5
Last edited by 94253 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

LOL how do these people make it through their 1/4 reviews...classic.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Good one. Love Heather's voice. You should add more items on the desk, like a stapler, coffee mug, etc. ...especially a keyboard since he does type in this sequence.

Hope you feel better!
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Nice one! And I agree with Neeters that this character has a great voice.

Post by 94253 »

Thanks for all the kind comments. :)

I'm glad you like the voices. I hope Sam's voice meets approval. I'm working on an episode with him next but there is a lot of new stuff involved so it will take some extra time.

Adding additional items to the desk is a good idea. That would help make the scenes a bit more interesting. I just realized I usually put a little award on Paul's desk but I may have forgotten to add that in this last episode. Hmm...
chrischristie

sweet work

Post by chrischristie »

That was fun to watch I thought that the guy's voice sounding like it was being read off the script was part of the character and I thought it helped to make him come off as unlikable... Nice Fazinnnnnggggggg
Chris

Post by 94253 »

I've been out enjoying the nice weather, but finally set aside some time to finish another episode. :)

http://horizons.gfcmedia.net/?pageID=6

I remembered to add the desk props back in this episode. A friend pointed out the scenes may look more dynamic if I added more shading. I'll keep that in mind for the next one.

@chrischristie: I agree the lack of enthusiasm makes him seem like the unlikable guy he should be.
paulcopeland

Post by paulcopeland »

Very funny.

The small animations as opposed to a lot of animation adds to the scene.

Very funny ending.

Paul.
Get my free piano sheet music here http://www.scoreexchange.com/profiles/pianoedition

Post by 94253 »

Summer has been quite busy, but I found time to do another short animation. The voice talent behind Miranda certainly enjoyed singing the Super Mario Brothers theme song in this episode. :)

http://horizons.gfcmedia.net/?pageID=7

Thanks for watching!