Animating a photo or picture

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

PaulPrints

Animating a photo or picture

Post by PaulPrints »

I have looked at the manual provided by Moho, however, all the tutorials are already mostly completed for you. I need to know step by step, how to take any given photo that you import, how to divide it into parts (I assume as layers), so you can add bones and animate the parts. For instance, a picture of a cow. I want the mouth, head and legs to move. I know I can add bones, but the bones move, and the picture doesn't.
Please tell me how to do the above one step at a time.
Thanks!
red hamster

Post by red hamster »

You have to cut any segment: layers1 arm, layer 2 head etc.
You need a photo editor and save the files in png.format.

Remember to "bind" each bones and paying attention to the right parent child bone sequence.
Read careffully the tutorial
affusored.mov
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

Drag the Layer that contains the image into the Bone Layer, then select the Bone Layer, create the bones,after creating the bones, select the bone you will attach the image to, select the image Layer, click on the
"Bind image Layer tool" I think that should do it. H E H (hope this helps)
"and then Man created god!"
DaleG

Post by DaleG »

I'm new to moho, but my first step has been making skeletons out of images and I can tell you how I am doing it although I cant claim to really know what I'm doing! (I'm using photoshop elements, but I assume most photo editors will work similarly.)

Depending on the image.. i usually divide it into 6 parts .. head, right arm, left arm, right leg, left leg and torso

1. I outline the image, select the inverse then delete the background and name this "original layer".
2. Next, I outline one part (head for example) then do "new layer via copy" and name this layer (head)
3. I click on the original layer and repeat this step for the remaining parts.. I make sure I have overlap in the torso.. shoulder areas.. where the legs join the torso etc. I usually save this photoshop file with all its layers in case I want to make corrections later.
4. I make only the layer I'm working on (head) visible.. I usually have to make corrections or additions in the areas of overlap then I save as head.png file in a folder Ive created. I repeat this until I have all 6 parts saved as separate png files in one folder.
5. I open moho and set project settings with pixel width and height the same as my png files (do I need to do that?) and add a skeleton layer.
6. I add all the png layers and put them in the main skeleton layer in an order that makes sense (legs under torso). I like to make the Head layer about 2-3 times bigger than the other body parts using the scale layer tool because I think it gives a funny cartoony effect.
7. I then follow the tutorial for character set up 3.4 and do everything exactly as the tutorial says.. be careful to keep character separated enough so that you can set bone strengths to cover the whole image without also effecting a different layer.

I save the moho file in the same folder as the png parts so that everything is under one main file.. that way I can move the folder around and not break links.. I import the character Ive made as a moho object into other moho projects.

Now I just have to figure out how to use these characters and all of mohos great features in a project which i will then incorporate into a video Ill put together in fcp!
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

if u dont know which program to use:

try GIMP, make use of alpha channel for optimized images in moho witch transparency.

if u own photoshop it supports alpha channel as well and a bit better than gimp.