When will we see Moho 14?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

BigBoiiiJones

When will we see Moho 14?

Post by BigBoiiiJones »

Just want to start a random conversation even though it may be a useless one. When do you think we will see version 14 and if you were able to pick two new features to be added in version 14 what would they be? Also what current features would you like to see improved and expanded upon? 13.5 was such a good release it has me pretty excited for version 14.
Greenlaw

Re: When will we see Moho 14?

Post by Greenlaw »

Personally speaking, the new features in Moho 13.5.x have been fantastic, and they've changed my rigging practices for the better. Most notably, I'm referring to Vitruvian Bones and the improved Layered PSD import. The new Mesh features are also welcome...it's simpler yet more capable than what we had to work with previously.

For Moho 14, what I really want to see are not so much new features but improvements made to existing features.

Without question, Moho's Freehand tool needs to be improved. Currently, I'm using Add Points, Transform Points and Magnet tools for all of my vector art because the Freehand is too unreliable. Improving Freehand will also make using Moho's FBF system more desirable; ATM, I'm relying on third party tools to draw FBF for Moho.

I think we can all agree that getting a complete basic set of paint tools that work will be deeply appreciated too. But I really want better Freehand first though.

I also wish to see improvements made to Moho Exporter and Layer Comps to make them even more useful for compositing and fx work.

Support for higher color depths is also needed.

Whatever they have in store, I'm sure it will be very cool and useful. :D
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Without question, Moho's Freehand tool needs to be improved. Currently, I'm using Add Points, Transform Points and Magnet tools for all of my vector art because the Freehand is too unreliable. Improving Freehand will also make using Moho's FBF system more desirable; ATM, I'm relying on third party tools to draw FBF for Moho.
Absolutely agree with this,i have a gut feeling though that they are working on it (since it was mentioned so often) and i hope 14 will be all about vectors -.)

For me if it‘s all about a new freehand tool and a overhaul of the viewport/performance/responsiveness of the app i am more than happy. Also getting rid of some legacy UI quirks like the *+?!% blinking when selecting something from a dropdown…

I don‘t need things like auto-rig or anything like that. Being able to easily clone limbs and rigs with their SB actions would be neat tho.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Vector drawing improvements

Bring Bitmap tools back with improvements ( just yesterday I was cursing that I had to go through so much hassle just to erase a little tag on a png) :x

Nested bones and advanced bones ( to speed up and simplify rigging, as discussed before in the bone zones video).

Display an rendering improvements.
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

house10 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:42 pm 13.5 was a let down simple
couldn't disagree more! i've really enjoyed this release.

i would love to see a better FBF workflow, as well as right-click context menus for different tools (rigging, drawing, etc).
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

I can only hope it will be sooner than later.

I agree with Freehand tool as a priority, and as part of that improved drawing experience pack I would add better strokes (some way of getting rid of the bumps on the points https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... 13&t=33823) and of course fixing the graphic tablet support bugs introduced in 13.5 (https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=34288)

I think that it's time to focus on the bugs and sharp corners of the program that damage usability so much, like negative keyframes, corruption of reference layers, display errors with masks, bezier point bugs, auto-save problems, performance, stability, and maybe UX improvements arround panels, the actions folders and stuff like that that makes our work easier and more efficient.

Everybody likes new features but I really hope they don't try to add too much because I wouldn't want to see a v.14 with the same problems we have and huge new problematic features added on top of it.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Daxel wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:29 pm I would add better strokes (some way of getting rid of the bumps on the points https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... 13&t=33823)
Yeah, I also think these kind of stroke quality related issues should be prioritised over any other bells and whistles because in most cases strokes consistency is the base of 2D animation/illustration.

Daxel wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:29 pm I think that it's time to focus on the bugs and sharp corners...
I guess with "sharp corners" you are not talking literally here, isn't it? :lol: But it sounded funny to me because, talking about strokes again, sharp or MITER corners (instead always kinda rounded as we have now) has always been the most yearned request to me for years/decades...

Daxel wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:29 pm display errors with masks
My upvote for this ALWAYS!
PixelVector

Post by PixelVector »

Things I would like to see:

1. Improved drawing and paint tools needs to happen before anything else. #1 most important thing for the next version.
2. Color Swatches so that you can save and change the color for all layers that are using that swatch
3. FX/Lighting Tools, just need some more options to compete with After Effects
4. Improved Camera features
5. Customizable workspace like the ability to pop out a solo canvas window to use on another screen
6. Display improvements like someone else mentioned. I want to be able to see the results of my masks/opacity in real time
7. Being able to work on every frame as if it's frame 0 would be cool
8. Improved layer comps, simplified yet more effective
9. 3D Vector Drawing. Welding vector points across xyz axis and hitting create shapes to fill creating 3D shapes would be a crazy fun way to build set pieces
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I couldn't agree more about drawing tools taking priority. A few comments about some the other items...
PixelVector wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:56 pm 2. Color Swatches so that you can save and change the color for all layers that are using that swatch
Moho already has this via Custom Styles. Once set up and apply the Custom Style, you only need to update the Custom Style to change all instances where it's used.

One thing to watch out for when using Custom Styles is when multiple characters are using that Custom Style and you decide you want to change it only one of the characters. In that case, you'll want to use Unlink Shared Styles to change the Style ID. This way, the character still uses a Custom Style throughout its rig, it's just a unique Custom Style for that character.
3. FX/Lighting Tools, just need some more options to compete with After Effects
Agreed. I have to admit I usually do all my Moho lighting in Ae. I think Moho's 'lighting' tools are actually pretty decent for basic lighting effects, but I'd like them to be a little easier to animate and be more interactive like in my setups in Ae.
4. Improved Camera features
Definitely! I'd also like Moho to introduce null objects so rigs and camera targets can be created. I/O compatibility with FBX would be a huge help too...this will make working with other animation and compositing programs much easier.
7. Being able to work on every frame as if it's frame 0 would be cool
Not exactly sure what you mean here.

If you mean drawing and editing on any frame, you can do that now by changing an option in Preferences. This usually isn't desirable though because it makes it too easy to mess up an scene. It's very useful when you really need it though.

Or do you mean being able to make rig changes at any frame? That's asking for trouble too. However, you can toggle between the current frame and frame 0 using Design Mode. To make this easier for me, I have Design Mode added as a button in my MQC tool for Moho.
8. Improved layer comps, simplified yet more effective
Layer Comps actually works quite well in Moho...just set them up and Moho Exporter can break out the render passes with a single button click. But I'd like to see some special options added to Layer Comps, like being able to enable Strokes Only or Fills Only for a layer comp, or setting layer comps to generate custom mattes for composting.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your list. Some good ideas there.
lucasfranca

Post by lucasfranca »

Greenlaw wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:23 pm To make this easier for me, I have Design Mode added as a button in my MQC tool for Moho.
How did you do it?
An old guy [since 1983] who was raised in front of the TV.
Passionate about animation, after getting old, he decides to make it his hobby.

I share tutorials, reviews, tips and tricks from this vast world of animation on my channel.

https://youtube.com/animai2D
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, sorry...for info about MQC, go here:

http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtop ... ns#p189939

Without MQC, you can toggle Design Mode by using the shortcut Shift+Ctrl+D. MQC does the same thing, it just let's you do it with a button instead.
arglborps

Post by arglborps »

I don't want any new features, but proper Metal and GPU acceleration and GPU rendering support on macOS. This is way, way overdue.
Currently playback performance in the viewport and rendering performance are still not good, there's a lot of room for improvement.

Also better stability. Complex long scenes with lots of vector graphics can become super crashy very quickly.
Kilian Muster
Designer (day job), Animator/Creator (in the after hours)
PiXELBLAST Phungus & Mowld Production BlogYouTube Channel

rikberryere

Post by rikberryere »

arglborps wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:27 am
Also better stability. Complex long scenes with lots of vector graphics can become super crashy very quickly.
Echo that. If nothing else, fix the frequent crashing. I'm so used to the program crashing 4-8 times an hour it's kind of ridiculous. The Autosave works quite well, although I still do manual saves after every few changes or movements every thirty seconds or so. Yes, the scenes in question have a lot of vector graphics going on, but isn't that essentially what this program is supposed to do?
I have no idea what I'm doing... so tally ho, eh?
rocken

Post by rocken »

Why is no one talking about the motion graph?....

Anyway, for me
1.Better Drawing Tools: Could we have the regular pen tool that is found in other software that gives a preview of the next line?? coupled with a good shape builder and not the awkward paint bucket that creates unwanted points. If we can't have this , it would be great if the program could have greater integration with AI such as we have with Photoshop PSD'.

2.Display Improvements: Would love to see true display without having to use Preview Animation (which is still not the true display). display of the motion graph and even vectors with jagged lines is a turn off for me

3.UI improvements: better contrast around scroll buttons, selected items, etc.

4. A sequencer that does what a sequencer ought to do: cut in and out points
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

I'd like to see a thumbnail that looks like my bone rigged character, rather than the Moho logo.