Bone not affecting a group layer

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

nama_rupa

Bone not affecting a group layer

Post by nama_rupa »

I have run into this problem before. Sometime I fix it but i never know how i fixed it so I am hoping one of you will be able to help me.

Within a bone layer I have a group layer that contains several vector layers. When I rig my bones and try to manipulate them nothing in the group layer is affected. So what am I missed here? Please help

Thanks
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Bones won't have any effect on the layers inside the group... inside the bone layer.

You can "bind" the group layer to a bone... but the layers inside the group can not be influenced by the outer bone group.

I often use multiple bone groups (instead of a regular group layer)... nested inside each other. I then can bind the inner bone group to an outer bone...

... best of both worlds!

-vern
nama_rupa

Post by nama_rupa »

Thanks man. Sounds like other thing to the add feature thread.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

but, i don't understand why you must go to the exactly bone layer to control it.

i always use very complex boned characters, with bones layers inside bone layers inside bone layers.

why i can't to control all the bones just clicking the mother bone layer??
is there some weight reason?
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

@nama_rupa - it might be helpful to recognize that the bone group is just a group folder with extra abilities. So if you want to group stuff that will use bones then just organize them in bone folders same as you are doing with group folders.

Hope that is clear, sneaking a minute of company time to fight off the Moho spammers. :)
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I use two layer scripts I wrote (it is in the script forum) that allows me to control bones from one layer.

In some of my work I have bone layers inside and outside of groups. I use these master/control bone scripts to control all the bones from one layer.

The draw back is that I still need the hierarchy of bones for each duplicated layer and the master layer needs to be under the control layers in the layer palette.

-vern
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

thanks vern.
i'll see in the script section.
but i have a problem, almost always i don't understand the scripts explanation. you know that my english isn't good (actually, the 50% of my english skills are thanks to this forum), i have see your script, even i think i have installed yet...

i will make a language effort.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

There is a sample file in the post for the script. If you look how it is set up.. it should help.

-vern