cartoon voice: some sw or effects?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ramapo99

cartoon voice: some sw or effects?

Post by ramapo99 »

hi everybody!
i'd like to create a cartoon voice (donald duck or homer simpson, for istance) starting from a file audio registred with my voice...
i'm looking for some specific sw or plug in (i work with adobe audition).
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

A simple (chipmunky) way is to increase the speed of playback!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Hi Ramapo99,

I havent tried any of these programs but there are demos for to see if it can do something useful for you

http://www.audio4fun.com/compare-voice-changer.htm
Bones3D

Post by Bones3D »

Well, if you want the least expensive options out there, Audacity would be a good starting point. It has a lot of features that used to be found only in really expensive products... such as the ability to perform pitch shifts without changing the playback speed of the overall sound.

Another option, at least for the Mac-using crowd, is to use Garageband as a basic track recorder and mess with all the real-time effects it has to offer. Using varying combinations of these effects, you can create some pretty unusual sounds and voices.

Keep in mind though, that if you are using your own voice for more than one character, you'll probably need to practice techniques to alter your speech patterns (accents, rate, clarity, etc...). This actually isn't as easy as it sounds and could require years of practice before you get really good at it... yet this is how voice actors like Billy West and Frank Welker have gotten where they are today.

Oddly enough, learning how to sing (as in, properly) may actually prove useful for voice training, since it often requires you to be aware of the various muscles in your body needed to generate various sounds.
8==8 Bones 8==8
DK

Post by DK »

Bones 3D is absolutely right. I've been doing character voices for many years as well as being a singer in a band which has helped strengthen my voice imensly. Here's a sample i've put up on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SefDw3nchxw

I always use a computer to tweak the voice higher or lower but all the tweaking in the world won't help if you don't get yoiur basic voice right to start with. I use sound forge's pitch tool.

Cheers
D.K
ramapo99

Post by ramapo99 »

i'll try AV VOICE CHANGER SFOTWARE DIAMOND and BONES 3D then!
but i tried to found this one (Bones 3D) on Google... i have no result! Can you write me a web page where have more information?
regards
pg :wink:
myles

Post by myles »

Bones3D is the person who mentioned Audacity a few posts back - the word Audacity in that post is a link to the Audacity software website.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
ramapo99

Post by ramapo99 »

...I made a big mistake! I know...
Thank you also for the note about audacity web links...
thanks guy! :oops:
relik

Post by relik »

If you have Audition, you've got some tremendous effects already. Pitch-shifting and bending is available under the effects list, as well as echo, reverb, etc. I have used similar tricks to modify my voice for non-animation projects.

These filters have a much wider range of possibilities than a "canned" system that just does certain audio tricks.

I'm not at all familiar with Audacity, but my Google on it leads me to believe that it is an Opensource variant of Audition (hence the name) or at least a similarly equipped program. Again, if you already have the one, the other may not be of much use, or it may be easier to work through than Audition, which is designed for someone with an audio-engineering background.

To be completely honest, however, it's often easier and quicker just to make a funny voice and record it. Most of what you hear in professional animation is of this variety. The actors are making up funny voices (like the great Mel Blanc, who was almost everyone in the Warner cartoons), or they are using their actual voices with possibly some slight processing.

If you lack the vocal range or inventiveness (and I think a lot of us do), you can always rope some friends into voicing your scripts. While there are people who do "voice work" for a variety of characters, most cartoons have several cast members who either voice multiple parts or just do a single character. With Audition (or Audacity) you should have no problem mixing these performances together into a single audio track, even if they are recorded at different times. -R