Line Width keyframes

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

nobudget

Line Width keyframes

Post by nobudget »

I used line width for mouth animation, making several switch layers and increasing and decreasing the line width of the middle point and thus creating a mouth that opens and closes. That worked fine but I noticed this effect can't be interpolated or keyframed. That would make it much nicer for this purpose and likely other effects like wavy water and such.

Is this feature planned and are there others who could use this?

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Well, I've asked for this in some ocations... It'll be very usefull for several cases, specialy used with switch layers, and more if it can be interpolated like point position...
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Although I agree that keyframing would be a good thing for line width, I don't know if interpolation is going to do so very much. As far as I can tell, line width is an integer value inside Moho, so unless you are doing some pretty radical shifts in width it's going to go in steps. Could be wrong, I never really thought of using it that way.

--Brian'
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

"I never really thought of using it that way"

Story of my life, I tend to Think Different, maybe I should buy an Apple...

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

So you can think different ... just like all the other Apple users?
-Keith
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

I just thought of an extremely impractical way to simulate gradual increase/decrease of line width. You can drastically scale the layer while drastically scaling the points in the reverse way.

Problems:

1.) This will obviously make bones useless for the layer.

2.) The shrinking/growing effect happens on the whole line, you can't make it bulge in the middle or whatever.

3.) Scaling in two directions at the same time does not yield a constant sized object, apparently. Probably for the same reason that 1*5 does not equal 2*4 does not equal 3*3, etc... so you'd have that much extra work rescaling the points for every single frame.

STILL, IT SHOWS THAT I'VE GOT MY THINKING CAP ON. You gotta at least gimme credit for that.
-Keith
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

And I give you credit for giving me a headache trying to figure out what you mean, I think I got it now...
For me it's no solution, my idea was more for a talking mouth with fixed corners and only a resizing middle. If I really want that I'll just have to drag points and have them interpolate. A bit more work but for what I'm trying to do a lot easier than your solution.
So credit to your thinking cap but maybe it's getting a bit tight :wink:

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

I just checked out the muddbubble tutorial in another thread and I'm sold on the idea of ditching lines almost entirely.

http://www.keyframer.com/

He suggests using overlapping shapes. I've been doing this and it takes a very large variable out of the mix. I can easily change the size and shape of my outline by changing the underlying shape. It can also be more or less complex than the object above. So far it seems to have simplified my drawing process dramatically. Hopefully, this weekend I can put it through a test animation and see if it holds up there. There's no reason to think it shouldn't with the character I'm working with.

So to get back to your post, why not try using a rectangle with a third point along each long side. You can then pinch down the ends, and animate the middle points. If you duplicate it into switch layers, they'll even interpolate for you. You can get the same look with a modified rectangle as you can with a line with variable width (and in some cases, even better IMHO).

Good luck!

-Kdiddy
________
Maryjane
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
WillBellJr

Post by WillBellJr »

I have to say that's a great idea - it's one of those damn, why didn't I think of that... :lol:

-Will